Sunday, February 20, 2011

The KAUST Schools

I'm going to talk about Secondary School life here at KAUST in this post:

The Kaust Schools consists of 3 schools: kindergarten, primary and secondary. I'm an 11th grader in the secondary school and am part of the IB DP program, a universally recognised academic program, and an extremely rigorous one too.

The Secondary School goes from Grade 6 - 12, and holds around 180 students, which is really quite a small school. The number of students in each grade levels vastly differs, the largest is the 6th grade of around 30 students, and the smallest is the 12th grade, with 10 students. The 11th grade, which is the grade i'm in has approximately 25 students.

Regarding the population of the Student body, the vast majority of students are from a Arab Countries, and are Muslim, again the majority does differ between grades. In my grade, out of 12 boys I am the only non-arab boy which may seem quite 'shocking' for an international school, but really it's not something I even feel, I don't even feel like a 'minority'.

Oh, and I should also point out that within 1 school building, there are actually 2 schools being run at the same time, a Coed school and a girls school. The Girls schools consists of the more conservative Muslim students, most of them wear the abaya, hijab and the face mask and conversation between the boys in the Coed wing and the girls schools' students is very rare, but being part of the Student Council there are a few students I do communicate and work together with.

Academically, the Secondary School teaches the MYP course and then at 11th grade, there is an option of the IBDP or a KAUST diploma, which is essentially the same course as the IB but everything is internal.


I will talk more about the other aspects of my school in later posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment